Historical Review of the University

During the 1950's, it became clear that Istria will require a growing number of highly educated people, primarily those from the economic and teaching profession. A crucial incentive for the maturation of such an attitude was provided by two leading Istrian intellectuals of the period: dr. Mijo Mirković and prof. Tone Peruško.

Thanks to the Mirković's efforts, the first two-year higher education school of economics was opened in 1960/1961 (Higher School of Economics), while Peruško is particularly responsible for the opening of the Pedagogical Academy in Pula in 1961/1962, whose headmaster he was. The Higher School of Economics has developed into the "Dr. Mijo Mirković" Faculty of Economics and Tourism, while the Pedagogical Academy became the Faculty of Philosophy in Pula and Higher Teacher Education and Training School in Pula.

Juraj Dobrila University of Pula was founded on the 11th of October, 2006, and it was registered with the Commercial Court Registry in Pazin on the 21st of December 2006, as a legal successor of the "Dr. Mijo Mirković" Faculty of Economics and Tourism, Faculty of Philosophy in Pula and Higer Teacher Education and Training School in Pula.

More information: